The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Wednesday 27 January 2016

The Original High


I heard that for the first time digitally, old music is outselling new music. Are you surprised? I hear you all loud and clear. Yes, and no. Old music, well music that has meaning to me as of this time and period, the music that recalls my history – successes failures, loves and breakdowns, snapshots of my life – is bloody wonderful. But all music seems to be knocking it out to Pluto’s cold dark heart.


Like Rudimental’s new album, is packed with good tunes. Vaults, is still my new favourite band – still waiting on that album yo. Beppe needs it. And then I still go back to my old favourites. Nothing reminds me more of the struggle of studying than Kanye West’s Late Registration. Timberland’s Come Around was playing every time I got my eyebrows done. Coldplay’s Sparks sends the sweetest shiver through me, because I got a kiss from all four members of the band when they released their first album. That’s right Paltrow. I hit it first. 

New music right now... Is outrageous. I was in H&M’s changing room when TALA’s Praise came over me like a wave of bliss. I Shazamed it, stretching to the speakers standing in my bra and a fancy skirt with pockets. (I bought the skirt obvs.)  As Patricia says to Art, there’s nothing that a little Lethal Bizzle can’t fix, and I stand by that. 

While it’s great to appreciate the oldies, the newbies are creating goodies too. Hence An Art To It soundtrack. The best of both worlds:


  1. Laura Mvula: Overcome
  2. Mapei: Blame It On Me
  3. Jamie Woon: Gravity
  4. Vaults: Vultures
  5. Beach House: Sparks
  6. Mapei: Change
  7. TÃLÃ: Praise
  8. Kanye West ft. Adam Levine: Heard ‘Em Say
  9. Jessie Ware: Champagne Kisses
  10. Lucy Rose: Like An Arrow
  11. Rudimental: Never Let You Go
  12. Raury: Her
  13. Arctic Monkeys: Brianstorm
  14. Coldplay: Sparks
  15. The Naked and Famous: Young Blood
  16. Lethal Bizzle: Fester Skank
  17. Timberland ft M.I.A: Come Around
  18. Bombay Bicycle Club: Luna
  19. Foals: What Went Down
  20. Theme Park: Jamaica
  21. The Irrepressibles: Pale Sweet Healing
  22. Editors: Ocean Of Night
  23. Beck: Heart Is A Drum
  24. M83: This Bright Flash
  25. James Bay: If You Ever Want To Be In Love

No comments:

Post a Comment